AP News Names Ayo Edebiri, One Of Its 2023 Breakthrough Entertainers

Things are definitely looking up for Ayo Edebiri, an American based female entertainer whose nomination as one of the Associated Press (AP) News 'Breakthrough Entertainer' for year 2023, provides the needed spark and opportunity for migrants, especially those of Nigerian roots to reflect on their innate talent and vitality as they strive to actualise in foreign climes.

The 28yrs old Ayo Edebiri, an Emmy nominated actor starred in “Bottoms,”Theater Camp,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem,” guest-starred on “Abbott Elementary” and “Black Mirror” and returned for the second season of “The Bear,” the show that is famed to have initially shot the stand-up comedian and writer turned actor to fame.

She received recognition from the media outlet based on her roles in everything from bawdy and brutal live-action teen comedy to animated film to kitchen-based dramedy.

Edebiri who said she picked an early interest in entertainment based on performing at her parent’s church and doing stand up with her friends at open mics while in high school said, “I think (church) was my first exposure to everything, really, to music, to performing, to speaking in front of people.

“I think I really have a love for live performance, especially that feeling of just like being in a communal space.”


Edebiri who exhaled about her meteoric rise to acclaim stated that she had always imagined herself taking on a more practical job like teaching, which she majored in at New York University, performing stand-up around the city in her spare time. It was not until she met other successful Black female comedians who were making a living from the art and still able to obtain heath insurance that she began to entertain the idea of pursuing comedy professionally.

They have these things that to me, especially as a child of immigrants, I need cold, hard proof,” said Edebiri. “I don’t need a dream. I need to know that I can have dental and I can get an eye exam once a year.”

She switched her major from teaching to playwriting: “I realized I would rather do that and be happy than always be wondering,” she said.

She would soon begin booking writing jobs on shows like “Sunnyside,” “Dickinson,” and “Big Mouth,” along with minor acting roles. Edebiri became Missy’s voice on “Big Mouth” and landed a recurring role on “Dickinson.”

“I was really fortunate to have people in my corner who were like, ‘We’re going to help you. Like, why wouldn’t we?’” Edebiri says.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ulinfun declares interest in Edo Governorship race

World wildlife day marked at Ogba Zoo